Sunday 2 August 2009

First Day

Date: 01/08/09
Time: 21:15
Miles travelled today: 380
Location: Beinglas Farm Campsite, just north of Loch Lomond
Weather: Throwing it down with no end in sight

So, here I am at the end of the first day of my trip. I have managed to get to the campsite that I was aiming for – one that had been recommended by a friend and it is quite nice and in a spectactular location just north of Loch Lomond, surrounded by steep hillsides complete with waterfalls, trees and general greenary. It also has a river running by the side of it on 2 sides and you need to cross a very rickety looking wooden bridge to get to it. Facilities look good although with only 3 male showers, there could be a bit of a queue tomorrow. The day went fine, I left a little later than planned and the trip to Merryhill to buy a popup tent and supplies was predictably hideous with lots of traffic and people. Why people find going to these types of places fun I will never understand. I um'ed and ah'ed about the size of tent to get but in the end went for a 2 man, something I am now slightly regretting. How exactly two men plus stuff is supposed to fit in here I am not quite sure, big it is not. However, the fact that I could put it up in a few seconds, plus a bit of time to peg it down, was highly appreciated in the rain. Putting it away tomorrow might be slightly less fun, I have only tried to put one of these away once and it took 2 hours and a phone call to my brother....
Due to the campsite being a bit soggy, I couldn't park the car next to the tent and so had to ferry all my stuff over in the rain – however I have a waterproof jacket, overtrousers and wellies so it wasn't that much of a problem. However, it does mean that I am using my roll mat and sleeping bag rather than air bed – in fact, I am wondering if the air bed is going to fit in here at all! Hopefully I will get to find out sometime soon.

So here I am, in my tent listening to the rain and hoping that I haven't put the tent up wrong/it is broken and so I get wet – seems ok so far.

The actual trip up was predictably dull as it was 90% motorway. The scenery around the Lake District was amazing and once I got to Loch Lomond it got a lot more interesting and beautiful. Tomorrow should be a lot more picturesque as I head up to John o'Groats and a campsite there. 

I would really like to have some dinner but it is throwing it down so I cannot cook. There is no porch in this tent so it is outside or nothing. I will wait for a while and, if it doesn't let up, I will head over to the camp restaurant/bar and see what they have. The midges have already made their presence felt and there was a brief panic as I couldn't find the Skin-so-Soft I had been promised would keep them at bay – luckily it was located and I am now dosed in the stuff; seems to be working. If nothing else I will have great skin by the time I get back!

That's it so far, a dullish day but necessary to get to John o'Groats in two days. I still have no idea when I will be able to actually post this as I doubt that there is much WiFi in Scotland, however I can but hope.
Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment