Monday 17 August 2009

Day 16

Date: 16/08/09
Time: 20:15
Miles Travelled Today: 40
Location: Powfoot Holiday Park
Weather: Variable

After a good nights sleep, I awoke to find that the sun had gone again and grey clouds were back. The weather stayed variable all day, always pretty windy with occasional showers. A lot of driving again today without too much reward, the scenery is nice without being spectacular and the beaches ok without being inspiring. This area doesn't seem to have the amazing white sandy, clear blue water and sweeps of sand that have characterised other parts; it seems to be more muddy and rocky. There was another seemingly endless search for a campsite again today; this area is also characterised by having 'Holday Parks' as opposed to just campsites. This means that they are all up to twice as expensive as other sites I have stayed in. After rejecting one that was £21.50 (for a patch of grass and shared use of some toilets FFS – cool random plane though) and a few others around that mark, I finally settled on my current location due mostly to tiredness – although the initial cost of £16 actually turned out to be £12.50 as there is only one of me, so not too horrendous. I have felt very tired today, the kind of tired that seems to come from your bones. Whether it is the driving, the camping or a combination of the two I don't know. Although I have loved the trip, I can't say that I won't be happy to stay in a proper bed again and not drive for a bit. I am also really looking forward to meeting up with some uni friends on Wednesday, a couple I haven't seen for a year.

I am actually not that far from my destination on Wednesday (St. Bees) and so am not sure what I will do tomorrow. If I move on, I will leave Scotland as I am very close to the border. It may well depend on the weather. I also need to find a) a WiFi connection and b) a gas canister as my last one is almost empty and cooking will be a bit tricky without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment