Friday 7 August 2009

Day 4

Date: 04/08/09
Time: 22:00
Miles Travelled Today: 65
Location: Campsite in Scourie
Weather: Amazing during the day before raining towards the end

Another night with little sleep left my very tired today. The scenary and the beauty, however, was unrelenting, just as I got over one view I would turn a corner and be presented with another. This included one of the most perfect beaches I have ever come across. It was in Talin and required a few hundred metre walk from the road. As you hopefully can see from the pictures, it was a sweep of sand framed by cliffs with crystal blue water (still unbelievably cold) and, best of all, only two other people on it. It was truely amazing. After a coffee and a sandwich at a lovely little restuarant in Tarbet, I continued on. However, I was still very tired and as soon as I saw the campsite in Scourie, I decided that I would stop despite it only being about 1.30. I was lucky enough to bag a pitch over looking a lovely bay with a small beach on one side; crystal blue waters again. I crashed out for a while, wiped out from the driving and the lack of sleep. Later on I had a little wander around and visited the local shop to stock up on rolls for the enusing BBQ. The weather had been lovely again all day but as the evening drew in, ominous looking rain clouds started appearing. I had just enough time to cook my burgers before having to dive into the tent to eat them as the rain fell. The shower didn't last very long however it was to be the pattern for the rest of the evening.

A highlight of the day was watching two seperate seals play in the bay; popping up, having a little look and swim around before disappearing down again; it was a privileged moment to experience. I tried to get a couple of photos but the light was rapidly disappearing and they didn't come out; I did get a couple of the sunset however.

I am experimenting with a new bed setup tonight: fake-thermarest with duvet and then sleeping bag on top, I am hoping that this will enable me to sleep better....

No comments:

Post a Comment