Wednesday 12 August 2009

Day 9

Date: 09/08/09

Time: 20:00

Miles Travelled Today: 79

Location: Wild camping in Elgol

Weather: Cloudy with intermittent rain, raining right now


Yes, you read that correctly, I am wild camping! Well, if you define wild camping as not camping at a camp site then that is what I am doing. If you mean camping without facilities, then perhaps not....


As decided yesterday, I drove to Elgol today intending to camp nearby and get a boat trip tomorrow. When I got here, via a little cafe in the middle of nowhere and some very nice homemade carrot and coriander soup, I discovered that it is tiny and there are no campsites. As I was pondering what to do, I noticed a couple of tents on a level patch of grass and got thinking. After a conversation with a very nice guy who happened to own one of the tents, I decided to camp there that evening. The reason I am hesitant to call it 'full' wild camping is because there is a public toilet (with hot water!) nearby so am not completely without modern day conveniences. Still, it means no shower tomorrow; mmm that will be nice for everyone and will remind me of festivals. After being advised that the camp area was quite still and so heavy with midges, together with the fact that, after being ok most of the day, it started raining at about 5pm, I cooked and ate dinner by the car which is parked just above the area. I am now in my tent with the rain still pitter-patter'ing down, this is the weather I had been told to expect!


Skye continued to be beautiful if stark and, with the rain easing up during the day, a little less depressing. I am leaving Skye tomorrow, the original plan was to go back over the bridge but the friendly man told me another way involving a short ferry ride and then a lovely drive through a mountain pass that I might try...


No comments:

Post a Comment