Wednesday 12 August 2009

Day 11

Date: 11/08/09
Time: 20:30
Miles Travelled Today:
Location: Silversands campsite near Mallaig
Weather: Rainy all day but has stopped now

What a difference a few hours makes. I went to bed with a classic sunset with clear skies and woke to rain and dark grey clouds which basically stayed until about 5pm. I had decided to stay more or less in the area today before moving on tomorrow. After exploring Mallaig, which took about 10 minutes - it is basically a port with a few B&Bs, a couple of seafood restaurants and a tourist information place – I decided to head down towards Strontium as I had spotted a couple of potential beaches. To cut a long story short, the drive was lovely again but the beaches themselves where disappointing, not helped by the continuous rain. After a delicious mini mushroom quiche from a random little bakery, I headed back towards Mallaig and had a look at Morar and Morar loch which was, again, beautiful. By this time I was knackered and headed back to the tent. The rain had finally stopped and so I was able to take a walk along the beach. It is truely lovely here and I just wish the sun had stayed.

The plan for tomorrow is to head back to Fort William. It is my birthday and I intend to treat myself to a real bed, cooked breakfast and, possibly, a bath. I am also going to go out for dinner and so would like to find a B&B near a restaurant so I can walk there and back. The Scottish tourist industry seems to be doing fine as almost all the B&Bs I pass are full. So, in order to find as many as possible in one place and near restaurants, I have decided to go to the nearest biggest place which is Fort William. I also hope to find somewhere, anywhere (!) with WiFi so I can upload the last few days worth of entries and photos. Here's hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment