Monday 17 August 2009

Day 14

Date: 14/08/09
Time: 19:30
Miles Travelled Today: 211
Location: Heads of Ayr Holiday Park
Weather: Throwing it down all day

£16.50. £16.50!!!!! That is how much tonight's pitch has cost. Shocking. I am on a 'holiday park' which seems to mean it is biased towards caravans and is expensive. I am pitched (along with a few other tents) in what seems to be the playing field complete with children's play area. Not that any children are playing on it now as it is throwing it down as it has been all day. And not just a little bit of rain, this has been proper go-outside-for-a-minute-and-get-soaked rain, constantly, pretty much from the moment I got up. Ah well, I can't say it wasn't predicted. I have done a lot of driving in these conditions today which wasn't fun but it was more fun than walking around in it! I did get out of the car a few times, once to take a walk through a wood down to the sea shore and also to look at Skipness castle which was quite impressive. With my coat and waterproof trousers on I was pretty dry but, thanks to the wind combined with the rain, it wasn't great. A flavour of what could have been weather-wise, another reason to be thankful for the lovely weather in the first week. Tomorrow is set to be the same, oh what fun.

Scenary-wise, today started well as I came back up towards Tarbert via a B road. I then came across towards Glasgow, skirted around the West side and came down towards Ayr. It was obvious that I was back more in 'civilisation' and that meant the view deteriorated and got lot more built up. The traffic also increased. I am hoping as I head away from this area that things will improve. Although the random Navy warship (no idea what, perhaps a troop carrier?) moored on Gare Loch and then the subsequent Navy base was quite interesting, although they don't exactly invite you to stand around and take photos; so I didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment