Wednesday 12 August 2009

Day 8

Date: 08/08/09

Time: 21:00

Miles Travelled Today: 151

Location: Campsite near Dunvegan

Weather: Rain :(

Today was my first day in Skye and my first day of rain. Yes, the rain has finally arrived and with a vengeance, it only let up for short intervals all day. Skye is beautiful but somehow depressing, although that might be the rain. It is full of stark mountains, empty heathland and un-inspiring villages/towns. The scenary in general is still very impressive however. I did a fair amount of driving with some walking inbetween including a walk to a 'coral beach' which didn't seem to have any coral on it; I am guessing the tide was in and covering the coral – the beach, although small, was very nice and the water amazingly clear; a feature I am finding all the way through the trip.


During my travels I came across a big Co-op and so was able to stock up on some provisions which was welcome. After quite a lot of driving, I ended up in Dunvegan and found a campsite which turned out to be cheap but has everything that I need. All of the campsites so far have been fine; what has made me laugh a little is the variety in the rules and regulations in force. For instance, todays compsite is refreshingly free of notices and rules; indeed the little tag that you put on your tent has a section called 'Rules and regulations' on which it says 'Have a lovely time'. Some of the other campsites have had great boards full of things you may, or more usually may not, do. I almost expected men with clipboards to be patrolling the site checking up on everyone! However, generally everyone has been friendly enough and, to be fair, all the rules have been pretty much common sense.


I found a leaflet when I was in Applecross about a boat trip that operates out of Elgol but not on Sundays so my intention is to get there tomorrow, find a campsite and then go on a boat trip on Monday. That should keep down the number of miles I have to travel tomorrow which will be good.



No comments:

Post a Comment